[rt-devel] RT copyright notice

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Jun 17 14:37:09 EDT 2002

Dan,
	You've raised a couple of different issues:

	1) What license RT is distributed under.

RT is distributed under v2 of the GNU GPL. [1] This clarification
was made on September 18, 2000.  We've been speaking with Brad Kuhn
at the FSF about future versions of the GPL and whether it will make
sense to relicense RT under 3.0 or another version in the future.
You'll hear more about this as it goes forward.

	2) Who owns the copyright on RT's codebase.

There have been two significant contributions to RT's codebase which
stand as works in their own right:  Tobias Brox' early work on RT 1.3
and MAPS, LLC's work on the late 1.3.x series. Both contributors placed
copyright notices on the relevant sections of the source code.
Neither party has ever requested that I alter the product's copyright
notice, either in the README or on RT's login screen. If either
party approached me to do so, I'd be happy to do so.  If any member of
the community believes that he or she has contributed significant new
functionality which has been rolled into RT's core and is uncredited,
they should drop me a line _off_ list and we'll take care of it ASAP.

	Cheers,
	Jesse

[1] http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-devel/2000-September/000588.html