[rt-devel] Autoconfiscation

Andrew Snare ASnare at allshare.nl
Mon Nov 18 11:50:33 EST 2002

Hi,

I've attached several files that attempt to cleanup the autoconfiscation
process that's been introduced. There's still a bit of work to do, but this
snapshot is complete and still (I think) an improvement.

Attached files:

	1) configure.ac

	   This is the replacement for configure.in. Newer versions of autoconf
	   seem to favour this name. Drop in root dir of distribution.

	2) config.layout

	   The default directory layout for installation. Used when ./configure
	   is run. Drop in root dir of distribution.

	3) rt_*.m4

	   These are macros used by configure.ac. They should be dropped in a
	   new directory (m4/). Before running autoconf, invoke aclocal -I m4.
	   This builds aclocal.m4, which autoconf actually gets the macros from.
	   I've gotten into the habit of building the ./configure script with
	   'aclocal -I m4 && autoconf'.

At the present, none of the existing *.in files need to be adjusted; I've
mapped all the internal substitution variables to the existing ones for now.

Areas that still need attention:
	a) The database configuration. Ugh. (I've at least cleaned up the argument
	   descriptions displayed during ./configure --help for now).
	b) Makefile. Maybe include install-sh, and use @install@ instead of the
	   cp/chown/chgrp gymnastics currently in place. :)
	c) Substitution variable renaming. A topic for another day. :)

Hope this helps,

  - Andrew