[rt-devel] Binary Attachments - conversion from rt2 to rt3

Arthur Watts a.watts at cqu.edu.au
Sun Apr 6 23:31:14 EDT 2003

Guys,

        I am a newcomer to RT, and I have been tasked with upgrading the existing RT2 install to RT3.

        Installation of the new code was fine, and I am now attempting to migrate the data from the rt2 database. I used the rt-2.0-to-dumpfile script to extract the data into a directory and then attempted to load it into the rt3 database with rt-2.0-to-dumpfile (I downloaded the latest versions from http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-devel/2003-April/003701.html ).

        My problem is that the attachments to many of the tickets are things like Zip files and Word documents - this is obvious in the guts of the Attachment structure :

        'ContentType' => 'application/msword',

         The Content element of the Attachment hash contains the binary data corresponding to the ContentType :

         'Content' => 'Ã~PÃ~O^QÃ

          I am confused by the fact that the schema has this field as 'longtext' : surely 'BLOB' is more appropriate, or am I missing something ? Is there some form of manipulation in rt2 to store and retrieve the data as 'longtext' ?

           I'll continue trying to find the best way to get around this issue, but I would appreciate any input you guys can give me. I did search the list, but the sole entry relating to binary attachments in rt2 was by someone wanting to convert the data to Oracle - my problem is not quite so Herculean.

Thanks in advance,

Arthur

Arthur Watts (a.watts at cqu.edu.au)

Web Developer

Faculty of Informatics and Communication | Central Queensland University | Rockhampton, Australia