[rt-devel] RE: [rt-users] RT3 performance on `reply' again

Paul Wagland pwagland at allshare.nl
Fri Apr 18 08:15:13 EDT 2003

Hmm.

OK, so you are running RT3 on Postgres 7.3, as are we.

I don't know postgres so well, but is it possible that because we had just
imported a dump that it would be much faster? We had just imported our 7.2
DB onto our 7.3 DB, so everything else should of been more or less
identical...

Our (relevant) entries in postgresql.conf are:

shared_buffers = 1000
sort_mem = 8192

On our old (7.2) this is:

shared_buffers = 128

and sort_mem is whatever is the default value.

The docs say that this is important (I am a postgres novice :-)), and this
is the only real difference that I can see between the two configurations. I
have tried putting the value on the 7.2 box to 500 (it doesn't have as much
memory :-)) but that  didn't seem to make that much difference to the
response time....

Maybe this helps?

Cheers,
Paul