[rt-devel] RT3, browsers and character encoding (revisited)

Arthur Watts a.watts at cqu.edu.au
Mon Apr 28 02:29:05 EDT 2003

Guys,

     I have managed to get IE 6 (WinXP desktop to RT3.0.1 on RH
7.3/Apache web server) rendering RT beautifully in English. The problem
is that I had to remove some of my available languages to do it (IE:
Tools->Internet Options->General->Languages). If I reinstate Chinese[zh]
and refresh the page, I am back to the Chinese character set : totally
weird.

     This doesn't happen to me with *any other web server application or
static (non-Chinese) page*. Stopping and restarting Apache makes no
difference - I'm still a Beijing local in RT3. Only the removal of the
Chinese character set from IE will restore my default English.

     It renders perfectly on Netscape/XP, Safari/IE5 on OSX.

Cheers,

Arthur

Arthur Watts (a.watts at cqu.edu.au)

Web Developer

Faculty of Informatics and Communication | Central Queensland University