[rt-devel] Minor bug in user search

J Schdy schdy2 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:28:57 EDT 2003

I've found a minor bug with the user search function: the ACTION in the form
tag is given as a path value rather than an explicit page, e.g.
Action="/Admin/Users/".

This is a problem for those of us using Apache2, because the DirectoryIndex
directive does not work with RT and we have to set up a redirect using the
RedirectMatch directive (this is mentioned in the "Configuring Apache"
section of draftmanual.pdf).

So what happens is the form data (i.e. our search criteria) are posted to
"/Admin/Users/", but Apache2 redirects this to "/Admin/Users/index.html".
Because the redirect does *not* pass through the POST parameters, we arrive
back at /Admin/Users/index.html with no search results as if we had done a
simple GET on that page.

Of course, this will be a problem on *any* form that POSTs to "path-only"
URL (although I haven't yet found any other instances of this outside of
user search)

So really, one of two things needs to happen:

1. We need to figure out how the @#$% to get Apache2 to respect the
DirectoryIndex directive in RT URL's
2. We need to stop using "path-only" URLs, at least when it comes to HTTP
POSTing.

Being lazy (and somewhat ignorant of Apache administration) I tried #2 on my
local install: I appended "index.html" to the ACTION parameter of the form
tag in /share/html/Admin/User/index.html and now user searching works just
fine. Maybe someone with CVS rights could patch this for the next release?