[rt-devel] httpd's are more than 10%

Matt Knopp mhat at netlag.com
Thu Aug 21 13:28:23 EDT 2003

RT3 in our environment hasn't been great. Usable, but it's not uncommon for
a trivial ticket to take 8-15 seconds to come up. Our webservers are oldish
Sun E250s. The single best performance improvement I've found was switching
from Mod_Perl to FastCGI. In my test environments I'm seeing between 30% and
45% speed improvements. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the weight of
a FastCGI HTTPD vis-a-vis ModPerl HTTPD, which is about 4.5MB for a FastCGI
HTTPD and about 30MB for a ModPerl HTTPD.

Come to think of it, RT's caching should be generally more effective in a
FastCGI environment then a simple ModPerl environment. FastCGI works by having
the "Application" in its own process space rather then as part of the httpd.
You generally have less "Application" processes then httpd processes so load
isn't as high with fastcgi relative a simple mod_perl install. The mod_perl
folks are smart and found a way to approximate the same behaviors using two
httpds and mod_proxy ... but ew.

--
Matt