[rt-devel] Re: RT 2.1.64, my findings and a new translation file

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sun Feb 2 22:23:09 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 01:41:42AM +0100, THAUVIN Blaise (Dir. Informatique) wrote:
> Hi Jesse,
>
> I hope your short holidays were nice.
>
> I have done a deep review of my translations. Some where quite funny in
> fact! This new file should be acceptable for the first beta. I still have a
> problem with one word : "principals". I did not translate it, mainly because
> I don't fully understand the concept.

"Principal" is a meta-term which includes "user" and "Group". It's a way
of identifiying someone who can do something, has done something or is a
member of a group.

> I also tried to understand how the "approbations" worked, but I must admit I
> did not. Is there any description somewhere?

Do you mean the approvals stuff? It's not properly documented yet.

> Here are my findings on the latest release.
>
> General aspect : the right margin on all pages and some objects is missing.
> The figures on the right column in the home page are almost half cut. This
> is visible on your site too. I use IE6 on Windows 2000 and did not try with
> another browser. In the same way, the login button on the first dialog box
> is cropped on the right.

Interesting. I'll try to get ahold of a copy of IE. Could you send me a
screenshot?

> The "Best Practical" link on the bottom of the page is so small it is hardly
> readable. You deserve something bigger.

It's supposed to be. I'll have a look.

> Ticket list page
>       Column name : in the ticket list page, the last column title is
> "Left", but the data shown is really "Time spent"

Thanks.

> where I expect "Nouveau".

Ok. should be easily fixable.

> I also read "Nobody" in the owner column, but this
> I can change in the database as it is a "system created" user. A quick look
> in the code shows this would break many things in RT. One solution I see is
> to always fill "Nickname" with the user login name as a default, and show
> the nickname in the contact column. That way, it becomes possible to
> translate Nobody and other system accounts. Also, in our specific case, our
> logins are not always readable as they contain some company structure
> specific information. Showing the nickname field would make the ticket list
> much more readable.

That's site customizable, to an extent, but I should be able to get
"Nobody" localized.

>      Sort order : "started" appears twice in the list as a sort criteria,
> but does not correspond to the same item.

Huh.

> Tickets detail page :
>       Dates : The dates field does not understand localized formats. This
> will lead to lots of mistakes in Europe : when I enter 2/1/2003, I mean 2nd
> of january, but RT understands 1st of February.

I think pdh addressed this with his patch today which went into core.

> Also I don't understand well
> the difference between "starts", "started" and "starts by" before I
> translate. I see "started" is set when the ticket is opened. But then, what
> is the "start" field?

Starts and "Starts By" are the same thing. 2.1.67 will have "Starts By"
removed.

Starts is: "When do we estimate that work will begin?"
Started is "When did work begin?"

>       Commands : the order for : open, resolve, comment, steal, take links
> used to be in the logical "life order" for a ticket, it is not anymore.

I'll have a look

--
»|« http://www.bestpractical.com/rt  -- Trouble Ticketing. Free.