[rt-devel] Non perl-based RT access

Iain Price iain.price at post.serco.com
Tue Jul 15 04:39:48 EDT 2003

Hi there,

Just joined this list, did do a quick trawl over the last few months and
noticed a few other threads about Java access, SOAP and the command line
tool.

Have been using RT for some time now (probably about a year), and
developed a basic Java interface for RT2 that just used the command line
tool.

The absence of this in RT3 has become a real thorn in my side.  I've
started to connect to the database and manually update things, but this is
clearly not a great idea.

Firstly, any real ETAs on getting even beta access to some command line
tool or anything, particularly something that will either add users or
support the auto-create-user on ticket submission thing.

Is there any useful technical information available about the database
structure, having stumbled onto cachedgroupmemebers while writing ticket
creation code I've realised that there appears to be a lot of 'duplicated'
data (probably for search speeds), and that not updating the tables
correctly is rather disasterous.  Having "worked out" how to create a
ticket (using mysqldump diffs :S) and never really understood the
cachedgroupmembers table simply cloned the other entries and tweaked the
numbers.

My current sticking issue is User creation.  Having analysed various diffs
I still end up with RT thinking my user is a group.  Probably something to
do with not creating the Group Equiv entry... but again its not clear to
me how the entire database holds together... each table is reasonably
understandable, however there appear to be a *lot* more groups than i
would have ever expected :)

Basically having screwed up the test RT development platform we have here
several times I've realised even if i made a user creation routine that
seemed to work I wouldn't trust it to not come back and bite me in the ass
in a few weeks... and recovering the db when i dont understand the
structure is not something i want to do.

So i'm considering forging a message to the mail receiver from the user,
then finding and 'hiding' the ticket, so the perl RT api does the user
creation.

My questions therefor are :)

1) Any ETA on any kind of non-perl access to RT

2) Any technical information on the database structure, theoretical
'algorithms' for adding users to the databases etc - more the
relationships between the tables than the individual table structure

3) When / if i break tables like the cachedgroupmembers table, or I forget
to add a group entry for a user (hence making RT think a user is a messy
group or similar :S) are there any repair tools for reconstructing some of
the 'duplicated' data

4) Any better ideas for getting users into RT for now than this 'ticket
submission' thing? :P

Apologies if this is all old junk or i've missed something important, just
point me in a direction and i'll get on with reading/experimenting :)

Thanks
Iain Price
Intranet Developer/Wan Engineer