[rt-devel] mason_data and session_data, cache or lib?

Robert Spier rspier at pobox.com
Wed Jun 4 02:09:04 EDT 2003

> Care to elaborate?  If that's the case then masonstatedir can be
> /var/cache/rt and sessionstatedir can be /var/lib/rt.  At the moment I've
> used /var/cache/rt/{session_data,mason_data}.

It is probably safer (and clearer) to just keep the /var/cache/rt/
setup.

Going by "example", /var/lib seems to be for things with "inifinite"
life, like MySQL databases.  All of the RT data we're talking about in
this thread could go away, and it would happily get regenerated.
(Although if it went away at the wrong time...)

MasonStateDir holds Mason compiled object files and stuff.

(From mason documentation)

    The data directory is a writable directory that Mason uses for
    various features and optimizations: for example, component object
    files and data cache files. Mason will create the directory on
    startup, if necessary, and set its permissions according to the
    web server User/Group.

For the component files - it's probably good to rebuild them when the
server restarts, assuming the server doesn't restart often.  But it's
not strictly necessary, unless something has changed.

I'm not actually sure what session_data is in RT3.  It may just be a
holdover in the config files from RT2.  RT3 uses Apache::Session to
store session data in the database.  RT2 used a directory.

(That was a lot of words to say, stick with /var/cache/rt)

-R