[rt-devel] creating tarballs from repository

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Wed Jun 4 02:59:28 EDT 2003

> What I've got now is about 5 cosmetic changes, and the beginnings of a test
> suite (about 4 or 5 changes).  The majority of the changes caused by the
> testsuite are build system changes, all centred around Makefile.in.  The
> tests do the following:
>  - check that configure and make install works
>  - check that configure and make install works from outside the source tree
>  - check that make initialize-database works
>  - check that make install works with the FHS layout

So. it might be best if those are integrated into the existing "make
regression" test suite of ~800 tests of the system....

> They're pretty simple, albeit big tests :-)  I've got some bigger goals with
> the test suite in mind, such as automatic schema updates and web ui feature
> checks... that's going to require a bit of work though :-)

So. we're already doing some of that. And there's more in the way of web
testing on the way too.

> So I'll send some aedists to the bug address, in groups of related dists,
> with some notes about which order they should be applied in.

All right. it would really be best if you can manage one aedist per
change. (possibly by developing each change as a branch and sending me a
rollup for that branch when you're done developing it)

> Most of what I'm doing isn't useful to RT users, just for development,
> though, so I'll understand if you find adding big ugly tests for known
> working code annoying (though one of my tests found that postgresl ACL bug
> that was mentioned on -users recently).

Well, my tests found it too ;) Just for every incremental pre release,
we don't do the full test matrix (test on every combo of mysql,
postgres, modperl and fastcgi)

> Oh, and once I've got the automatic RPM stuff done I'll send it your way
> too.

neat