[rt-devel] postgres query optimising (was: Re: [rt-users] Is this slow? It seems slow.)

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Thu Jun 12 11:11:44 EDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> > JV> RT runs on Mysql 3, whichi doesn't support UNION, which is one reason
> > JV> I'm leery of switching to something that requires a UNION in the middle
> > JV> of a stable series.
> >
> > I thought mysql 4 was the recommended minimum for RT3... I guess it
> > could/should be ;-)
>
> It's like the back of the box for Windows XP, where it says:
>
> Minimum Requirements: 233 Mhz / 64 MB RAM
> Recommended configuration: 300Mhz / 128 MB RAM

Although with Windows, the recommended is of course low by an order of
magnitude.

At the moment, we 'know' what sort of database we have (in
$RT::DatabaseType).  Why not also record the database version
($RT::DatabaseVersion) and have that also passed to SB, where Jamie's
UNION code can be triggered if Type + Version is known to support such
queries?

For previous installations, we can assume that an absence of Version
information is an indicator that its, well, a older database that doesn't
support such goodies as UNION.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security