[rt-devel] Caveats when using RedHat 9 for RT3

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Fri May 2 07:19:47 EDT 2003

Hello list,
after updating our intranet server, we wanted to put RT3 into
productive use over here. The good folks from RedHat seem to have a
favour for non-standard packaging of some of the software involved.
Here are my observations:

-  mod_fastcgi is not provided in RPM format, so I proceeded to build
my own. I did not manage to compile mod_fastcgi against RedHat's
Apache2 version. I resolved this by removing the rpms involved and
built my own, so I could build my own mod_fastcgi for apache2.

-  Some perl modules  failed compiling if LANG is set to en_US.UTF-8,
which is the new and improved default. Setting LANG=C before compiling
helped with Build::Module and Time::HiRes.

- RT2 does not run with RH 9's provided perl 5.8.0, because that seems
to be missing File::NDBM (and I could not find an rpm that provides it
- makes sense, since File::NDBM is part of the base distribution). So
make sure to have an environment where You can at least export the
tickets before upgrading.

All in all it seems RedHat 9 (Personal Edition) is not the best
enviroment for RT3.

Regards,
     Harald

--
Harald Wagener * FCB/Wilkens * An der Alster 42 * 20099 Hamburg