[rt-devel] Re: RT 3.0.2 I18N patch proposal

Remy Chibois rchibois at free.fr
Thu May 22 03:15:37 EDT 2003

Quoting Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com>:

> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:31:57AM +0200, Remy Chibois wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > Some international characters display incorrectly in my RT 3.0.2
> > setup. I've come to use the following patch to correct these
> > problems.
> >
> > --> share/html/l, lib/RT/CurrentUser.pm
> > In short, the localization filter was not always calling
> "decode_utf8"
> > when it should, mainly when using strings such as "#[_1]: ...", that
> > is, strings with arguments.

When not using this chunk, every translated string with arguments does not
display correctly. Normal UTF-8 chars are "prefixed" by other UTF-8 chars. The
HTML source therefor contains 4 bytes for each international char.
Those problems occur for example in the "Connected as ..." header string and in
the "#<ticket number>: <ticket subject>" string (Display.html).

> > --> lib/RT/I18N.pm
> > In method "maketext", I found that some localized strings were both
> > using UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 chars.

This chunk was "necessary" after applying the first one, so it appears this is a
side effect.

> This patch doesn't appear to actually fix anything on my text system.
> Non-ascii characters still aren't displaying for me.

Allright, let's ignore this one.
Do you think the LANG environment variable has something to do with these problems ?

--
    Remy Chibois