[rt-devel] About RTx::Report and DBIx::ReportBuilder

Autrijus Tang autrijus at autrijus.org
Sat Oct 18 23:03:14 EDT 2003

This is just a heads-up to say that, since my company's deal with
a client to produce a RT-based report generation tools will soon
be delivered in full, I will be able to release parts of it to the
RT community, under the Perl license and/or GPL.

Here are some screen shots:

    http://wagner.elixus.org/~autrijus/report_screenshots.html

Features of this system including:

- Access any SQL sources accessible from SearchBuilder,
  including mysql, Pg, SQLite, Oracle and ODBC.
- Make reports with text, table, graph, image and subreports.
- Wysiwyg design interface.
- Fine-grained permission settings based on RT's ACL/Groups system.
- Supports all GD::Graph types.
- Supports all SearchBuilder operations (Limit, Join, OrderBy),
  as well as draw data directly from left-joined tables.
- User-definable variables, so you can customize outputs each time.
- Reports are saved in XML format, with import/export functions.
- Renders reports in XHTML, PDF, MSExcel and OpenOffice formats.
- Thoroughly internationalized.

Currently, RTx::Reports and DBIx::ReportBuilder both exist on
CPAN already, and other parts will be announced formally in due time.

The only missing piece of functionality that I'm still working
on is SearchBuilder->GroupBy, which will allow reports to use
statistics functions like Stddev() or Sum().

It is my wish that, once it has been made generally available,
maybe people can help putting some alternative UI together, such
as an interface compatible to the current Statistics3 pages.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/