[rt-devel] How to add custom field

Matthew D. Stock stock at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Mar 30 13:07:01 EST 2004

darren chamberlain writes:
 > I've always felt that the most appropriate way to handle setting attributes
 > via the mailgate was to create separate MIME parts for the body and
 > headers, and give the header part a content-type of
 > application/x-rt-headers (or something similar).  This is the same basic
 > approach as looking for X-status style headers, but more reliable,
 > simpler to implement, and harder to get wrong, since there are no
 > heuristics involved.  The user simply creates a separate file with the
 > attribute modifications, and attaches it.

I was thinking about this too, but in my environment, it's more of a pain
to form the attachment than it is to edit the headers.  :-)  Since the
point is being able to edit the status of tickets quickly, set attributes,
and so on, having to form a new attachment for each ticket is too slow.
Might as well just open up the web interface.  For a programmatic change
(like what the original requestor was looking for) it would be ok though.
  -Matt