[Rt-devel] create index on groups(instance) is a booster

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri May 14 10:05:16 EDT 2004

On May 13, 2004, at 8:59 PM, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> I've found that an index on groups (instance) is a real booster. It
> will help this very common query:

Your message got me to thinking about this.  It seems to me that pretty
much every index in RT is not gonna be used by postgres since all the
text fields are always searched with lower() but the indexes are not
created with lower().  For example, in the groups table, the index
groups2 covers three text fields -- the exact three used in the above
query.  Presumably this index would be used for the query in question
if it was created with lower().  I'm not sure how to create
multi-column functional indexes, however.  And it seems that the
instance column  is not searched with lower(), so that complicates
things somewhat, too.