[Rt-devel] 3.4.0rc1 slow

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Sat Jan 8 10:54:23 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:10:19PM -0500, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> > More importantly, Postgres won't have oids on most tables by default
> > in the near future.  So it won't even work unless your DBA knows to
> > flip the WITH OIDS option.
>
> It was only a year or two that I was seeing people widely recommending
> the strategy SB is using to get insert ids.  There are going to be lots
> of sad webapp developers out there :/ But at least I can fix it easily.

Yike.  That's unfortunate, because it was always a bad idea, although
not as potentially bad as it is now (ok, not quite always.
Originally the oids were regarded as a feature, if you harken back to
the days when it really was Postgres rather than PostgreSQL).  But I
certainly remember being cautioned by some against using them in
pre-7.0 versions, and that's several years ago.  That doesn't mean
plenty of people weren't advocates of them as well.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
		--Bruce Schneier