[Rt-devel] Another sql improvement recommendation for rt3.4.0

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Mon Jan 10 00:26:55 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 03:31:50PM -0500, David Kerry wrote:
> > Postgres and Oracle both support functional indexes.
>
> True - but it's nice to avoid such things if they're not really
> necessary.

Why?  First, they _are_ necessary in this case (although I confess
that I have the distinct impression some cases are because of MySQL's
non-standard understanding of "=" in SQL).  But second, why would
anyone implement functional indexes when they're not really
necessary?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
		--Alexander Hamilton