[Rt-devel] PATCH Inherit CF rights from object. Comments sought.

Rolf Grossmann rg at progtech.net
Wed Jun 8 16:53:22 EDT 2005

Todd Chapman wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 09:37:32PM +0200, Rolf Grossmann wrote:
>

>>Todd Chapman wrote:
>>

>>>We have losts of custom fields. I got tired of setting and
>>>updating rights on these CFs, especially when the rights were
>>>always the same as the ticket (or asset).
>>>
>>>I came up with the following patch which allow you to set
>>>a CF to inherit See/Show and Modify from the object it
>>>is a CF of.
>>>
>>>Looking for comments, such as:
>>>
>>>1 This is a good idea and implementation.
>>>2 This is a good idea but rotten implementation.
>>>3 This is a stupid idea, what we need is a better way to
>>>modify the rights on a bunch of CFs in bulk.
>>>
>>>I myself am leaning toward 3, but I implemented 1 just for fun.
>>>

>>So what's wrong with simply giving your users the (global)
>>SeeCustomField right?
>>If they can't see the ticket (or asset) they should not be able to see
>>the fields. What am I missing?
>>
>>Rolf
>>

>That is an interesting idea. I have been operating under the
>assumption that CF rights should be as restrictive as possible.
>What you are suggesting is that access to the CF is really
>governed by the more restrictive of CF rights or Ticket rights.

Ok, now I know what I was missing. I was only thinking about See/Show
rights, where that is the case. For modify, you're right, you do not
need the ModifyTicket right.

So, the InheritSee right would be unnecessary, while the InheritModify
sounds like a good idea. I can't quite discern from looking at the
patch, what the *-Magic versions would do. Care to explain?

Rolf