[Rt-devel] Using the Data field of the Transactions table

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Tue May 17 08:04:35 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 12:32:41AM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> > What do you think of recording the message as a text/plain
> > attachment to the transaction, so that > 255 characters
> > can be accomdated?
>
> If you do that, I'd recommend an application-specific mime type.

Looking at all the distinct ContentType values in the Attachments
table, it seems that RT doesn't currently use any of it's own
mime types, that I can see anyway.

Could you explain what the advantage of having an application
specific mime type is?

Also how would a web browser know how to display my mime type?

Any pointers to practical explanations of the topic would be great.

Thanks.

-Todd