[Rt-devel] Re: Contributing to RT.

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue May 31 16:23:13 EDT 2005

* Todd Chapman:

> I understand. If only we had some way to use community resources
> to improve the situation.

How easy is it to set up the test suite?  Unfortunately, I haven't
tried to run it yet.

If it's reasonably straightforward, it might make sense to implement
something like GCC's development process:

  <http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html>

To summarize: After running the test suite, developers submit patches
for review.  The relevant maintainers comment.  Once the patches are
approved, the original authors commit them themselves (and it's their
job to resolve all conflicts).  Most patches should come with test
cases.

The underlying idea is that because of the test suite, you can
concentrate on what the patch does, and not so much how it interacts
with the rest of the system.  There's no designated integrator, so
this chokepoint is eliminated.  Of course, by implementing such a
model, you relinquish quite a bit of control.