[Rt-devel] Should groups have email addresses?

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 17 16:06:08 EST 2006

At Thursday 2/16/2006 01:04 PM, Jim Meyer wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I'm struggling a bit with something common for our shop: people like to
>copy mailing lists on their tickets. I don't really want that to create
>a user account if that group is already identified in RT; I'd much
>rather associate the email address to that group and have RT add the
>group as a watcher.
>
>Has this been considered and discarded before?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--j
>--
>Jim Meyer, Geek at Large                                    purp at acm.org

Hello Jim,

I've been thinking about this and it seems the use of groups confuses
things a bit.

I think the feature that's desired is the ability to add an arbitrary email
address to a ticket or queue as a watcher.

I'm wondering what the objection is to setting up a user record to
represent the email address? You can do that without having to modify code,
so it would seem a lot simpler?

Steve