[Rt-devel] Reworking SavedSearches

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Jan 20 19:19:52 EST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 01:34:45PM -0800, Joby Walker wrote:
> I'm interested in the community's interest in a reworking of
> SavedSearches that we are considering implementing.

So, this is very much something we looked at when doing the original
design for the RT 3.2  query builder and saved searches. The reason we
didn't split out Search Results and Display Format into their own
separate subcomponents was out of a concern that it would take an
already complicated UI and make it even harder to use.

Putting results format and search terms on separate pages seems pretty
reasonable to me. Making it so that if you want to display a saved
search, you need to load two or three different items to get the same
consistent behaviour.  What we've done for RT 3.6 is let users set up
preferences for display defaults...It only goes part of the way there,
but it's our hope that it helps make it a bit better without making
things hurt more.

I'd encourage you to mock up a potential new UI before going all the way
through with it, but if we (or you) can come up with something that's
useful without making the toolset harder to use for a casual user,
I'd be really psyched.

Je