[Rt-devel] Replacing the "fsck.com-rt" URL scheme

Philip Kime pkime at Shopzilla.com
Wed Jun 28 01:32:07 EDT 2006

I can see why it might have been done originally - that makes perfect
sense, I suppose that I was thinking that since RT isn't really a
"private" thing any more, it deserves a more public URI scheme,
especially since it's open source ...

PK

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Vincent [mailto:jesse at bestpractical.com]
Sent: 27 June 2006 21:43
To: Philip Kime
Cc: rt-devel at lists.bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [Rt-devel] Replacing the "fsck.com-rt" URL scheme

So, this patch sparked a lively internal debate here at Best Practical.
Which prompted me to do a bunch of googling to figure out where I picked
up the idea for "fsck.com-rt".

RFC 4395                    New URI Schemes                February 2006

   Organizations that desire a private name space for URI scheme names
   are encouraged to use a prefix based on their domain name, expressed
   in reverse order.  For example, a URI scheme name of com-example-info
   might be registered by the vendor that owns the example.com domain
   name.

While clearly not the reference I was originally using, it does seem to
at least point in the same direction. (And yeah, it's incompatible with
what we're actually doing.)  I'll see what I can dig up about actually
registering with IANA, though I expect to get slapped down fairly
brutally.

Jesse