[Rt-devel] mod_perl configuration problem

Harry Bochner Harry.Bochner at biogenidec.com
Thu Nov 9 11:08:23 EST 2006

First of all, here's a partial answer to my own question:

The problem appears to be that the RPM version of mod_perl is defective.
I ran an experiment, running another instance of apache with the same
configuration, except that it uses a mod_perl.so that I built from source,
instead of the one from the RPM. RT works fine in this instance of apache.
I still don't know what's wrong with the one from the RPM, but I'm
convinced
that's where the problem is.

So I'm going to use this as an example to argue against the "RPM only"
style
of system administration.

Now, Vivek Khera asks:
> Just curious what the big attraction to switching from fcgi to mod_perl
is?  RT makes no use of the deep apache integration mod_perl offers, and
fastcgi is just as clean and fast of a solution, if not better when you
have other things your web server is doing too.

Actually, I like FastCGI. The architecture seems more robust. It might be
slightly slower
than mod_perl, but it's certainly fast enough in my experience.

But there's a separate issue of popularity. My boss feels that simply
because mod_perl is more
widely used, it's likely to get better support, and so FastCGI is more
likely to have problems sometime
in the future.
That seems reasonable to me, although my experience with getting mod_perl
installed on the
production machine points the other way ;-(

--
Harry