[Rt-devel] DBIx::SB::Handle -- $PrevHandle question.

Dmitri Tikhonov dtikhonov at vonage.com
Wed Feb 21 16:28:35 EST 2007

Dear RTers and DBIx::SBers,

what is the purpose of $PrevHandle "magic" in
DBIx::SearchBuilder::Handle?  Specifically, this code:

   sub dbh {
     my $self=shift;

     #If we are setting the database handle, set it.
     $DBIHandle{$self} = $PrevHandle = shift if (@_);

     return($DBIHandle{$self} ||= $PrevHandle);
   }

puzzles me.  The conversion from $DBIHandle to %DBIHandle is based on
patch from Audrey Tang [1] which was included along with $PrevHandle
into the 0.61 -> 0.96 changeset [2].  However, I can't find the
explanation for $PrevHandle in the Changes file or anywhere in the
comments.  Could someone please tell me why it's there?

Thank you,

   - Dmitri.

1. http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=4167
2.