[Rt-devel] schema thought

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Wed Jul 11 07:45:53 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:13:34PM +0200, Dirk Pape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> --Am 10. Juli 2007 17:57:59 +0100 schrieb Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org>:
>
> >Is it safe to make it not null?
> >
> >Or do some versions of mysql get upset for no logical reason in this case?
>
> I just looke into my rt3 db (mysql innodb) and find Groups.Instance being
> varchar(64), too.
>
> There are some records having Instance = NULL, mostly the "Pseudogroups for
> internal use" and some "UserDefined" groups from the old days.

I see this too for precisely those cases. The Pseudogroups and the lowest
numbered UserDefined groups have Instance as an empty string.
(But IIRC MySQL for a while treated '' and NULL as the same thing, so that
may explain that)

The RT here was installed 4 years ago.
Did a schema update from 3.0 to 3.2 miss this?

> So it seems make it NOT NULL is not safe.

I think that it is, because all those NULLs or empty strings should be 0.
They are on a new install.

Nicholas Clark