[Rt-devel] REST Interface

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Jan 17 08:39:20 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:01:50PM +0100, Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> Hello, RT developers !
>
> At the German Perl Workshop in Erlangen next month I'll talking about
> automating and integrating RT through the REST interface
> (http://www.perl-workshop.de/talks/102/view).

Excellent. Are you aware of dams' RT Console client and the cpan library
for working with the REST interface?

http://code.google.com/p/rt-client-console/

> rt help list says:
>
> (Right now, the server doesn't support listing anything but tickets.
> Other types will be supported in future; this client will be able to
> take advantage of that support without any changes.)
>
> Are there any plans to add this support ?

It's not high on the list. We're hard at work on RT 3.8 which doesn't
touch REST much and RT4, which leaves the existing RESTy interface in
place but also exposes EVERY object via a proper REST interface (with
json, xml, perl, yaml data transports and proper URLS)

> If not would you accept patches ?

YES! :)

> Besides that, the interface violates main principles of RESTfulness, like
> uniquely addressable and well defined operations. Just to let you know that
> I'll cover these weaknesses :-).

In my defense, when the REST interface got designed, everyone else on
the planet was just starting to use SOAP and Roy Fielding had barely
published his definitions of what REST was. It wasn't well understood by
anybody.  What I'd taken away from the discussion about what REST could
be at the time was "access via simple GET and POST at simple, defined
end points."  Were I doing it over today (as I am ;), I'd do it
differently.

Best,
Jesse