[Rt-devel] Custom creation form

jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org
Tue Jul 15 17:11:50 EDT 2008

(repost, mailman is slacking off today)

Hello all,

I'm about to setup a medium-sized configuration of RT to handle sales inquiries.
We want to create a custom form for ticket creation because 1) we will have
custom fields 2) we want it to be "pretty" and "simple" for the hoi polloi.
I checked the list archives, and found a few brief threads on the subject, but
no definitive information. There's not much in the wiki either, even though
this seems to be approaching FAQ status?

I know RT is perl, and perl is all about DWIMmery, but given the complexity
of and changes to the RT codebase over the years, I think some suggested best
practices for this situation would be beneficial.

The options as I understand it are:

1) Local template in SelfService

2) Arbitrary form elsewhere, but have it post to the handler in SelfService

3) Arbitrary form elsewhere, posting to a CGI that uses the REST interface

4) Go through email with the Norwegian Email-administration hack

I'm still new to RT, as an admin/developer, so I'm not entirely clear on the
merits/issues of all of these. #4 seems sketchy. So does #2, although it's
not too different from #3 other than simplicity of implementation? etc. etc.

Discuss :-P

--
Cambridge Energy Alliance: Saving money & the planet