[Rt-devel] Feature suggestion: Links in the Results widget

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Jul 28 08:39:57 EDT 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Richard Hartmann wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 14:23, Jesse Vincent
> <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:
>
>> This would be lovely, but a bit of a bear to implement. Those
>> messages
>> bubble up from fairly deep in RT's library layer, which makes
>> htmlification
>> not super easy.
>
> I feared as much. Maybe chalk it up with the other logging/event/error
> notification stuff we were talking about, recently? If that part of
> the code is
> ever touched, all could be done at once.
> Alternatively, a really really ugly parser could sprinkle hyperlinks
> over the
> message when it is being displayed. That would be a truly ugly hack,
> though.

It'd be impressive if you could get it to handle localized versions as
well.

[...sips coffee...]

Now, I just had a really fearsome idea.

We could replace the strings with some sort of "multi-format string"
object. It would have overloaded stringification which returned the
plain-text alternative. But if you were in-the-know and called
as_html, it gave you back HTML.  At that point, I might recommend
baking the localization into the multistring object such that it only
got translated at output time.

Is there one of these on CPAN yet? If not, why not?

Jesse, who really needs to stop sipping the coffee