[Rt-devel] PATCH: enhanced Command Line Interface for RT

Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de
Fri Oct 3 10:47:39 EDT 2008

back in 2004 I did post the availability of an enhanced CLI for RT. At
that time it was made for rt-3.2.2.

Since then it was constantly updated and kept in sync at or site with the
official bin/rt.in found in the releases. I would like to take the
opportunity to send the latest patch with the enhancements for version
3.8.1 to the list (see attachment). The CLI should be compatible with
basically all 3.x servers, there is no need to have the same server
version installed.

The patch does contain enhancements only. These are:
- support for Kerberos5 authentication using LWP::Authen::Negotiate
- warn if a passwort is transmitted to the server
- a default queue for ls can be configured or given on the command line
- simplified query string notation on the command line
- the default output format for ls is more compact and tabular (80 cols)
- the default output format for show is more compact
- tickets get addressed by just the ticket number
- new commands for frequently needed edit commands (set status, set owner,
   ...) were introduced (resolve, delete, take, ...)
- enhanced online help describing the modified commands and giving more
   examples

A very common operation is resolving a ticket, which can be done now using
a simple command such as

   rt resolve 3456

The enhanced CLI is in production at our site since several years. It
nicely complements the web and the mail interface which we are using as
well. Due to the changed functionality its acceptance has increased a lot.
--
Wolfgang Friebel                   Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone/Fax:  +49 33762 77372/216    Platanenallee 6