[Rt-devel] Any interest in the ability in RT to enforce CF value uniqueness?

Philip Kime philip at kime.org.uk
Sat Oct 18 12:24:52 EDT 2008

I ask because I have developed as an extension for AT the ability to
enforce CF value uniqueness for single-valued CFs. This is important
in AT for things like CFs holding serial numbers, MAC addresses etc. I
have had nasty things happen because people added duplicates for
these. I added the ability to be able to enforce single-valued CF
value uniqueness within asset types or across all asset types. If you
try to add a duplicate for such a field, it will fail and tell you
what the conflcting asset is.

However, doing this required modifications to RT - stuff in
CustomField update code (AT calls the RT API for this) and lots of
mods to

/Admin/CustomFields/Modify.html

Is there any interest in including this functionality for RT in
general? I must say it's not as obviously useful for tickets or other
CFs but I haven't thought about such use cases much. Another
motivation for asking is that I'd like to have this in AT but it's
impossible to make it an AT-only thing (without enormous AT mods)
because AT uses RT code and HTML templates for much of its CF stuff.

PK
--
Dr Philip Kime