[Rt-devel] Custom Roles in RT4

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Mon Aug 15 07:56:50 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Tom Lanyon <tom+rt at oneshoeco.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm looking at a config which would benefit from one (or maybe more) additional role(s) alongside Cc and AdminCc, so that I could do some group permissions assignment to specific tickets without giving up my existing usage of Cc and AdminCc.

Not that popular demand, but we want to implement custom named role
groups.

> It was suggested to me that this may have been attempted before (back in 3.x land) - has anyone looked into doing so or could suggest the best way to implement something like this, and even better, has anyone looked to do this for RT4?
>
> I've taken a look around and can see there are a number of places that the assumption is hard-coded that the only valid roles are AdminCc, Cc, Owner, Requestor.
>
> I'm getting the impression that it may be significantly more difficult to add a generic role implementation instead of adding a single, additional, hard-coded new role...

I'm pretty sure nobody extended RT 3.x that far. While RT's DB already
capable to store arbitrary role groups, but code isn't even even close
to do that.

We have a bit in 3.999 experimental branch that should be ported in RT
4.2 to move things closer to the goal, but everything else have to be
developed.

At this point adding one hard coded group may be easier. If you're
going to do that I would love to see patches that at least concentrate
list of groups in one place without changing API (method names and
arguments, new methods are fine).

--
Best regards, Ruslan.