[Rt-devel] Development roadmap

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 3 05:51:22 EDT 2011

Hi all,

First of all, congratulations on getting RT4 out of the door. The
Debian package is nearly ready to go pending some DFSG administrivia
(source to some included compressed JS).

I wondered whether you could let us know what your medium to long
term plans are for development cycles of RT4? For example, I notice
that you already have a 4.2 branch. When is that likely to see the
light of day and what sort of scale of change might it include?
I ask because I'm wondering whether continuing to name the Debian
packages after the major.minor number (ie request-tracker4.0) or
whether it might be time to consider a switch to request-tracker4
instead[0].

We don't (and possibly can't) need to know for certain, and that's
okay, because we could still switch to request-tracker4.2 if needed, but
the likely outcome may help decide what the best course of action at
the moment is.

Thanks,
Dominic.

[0]. Not renaming the package between releases makes for a much
     easier upgrade path; it's been on the TODO for a long time to make
     semi-automatic upgrades work between renamed packages, but it's a
     hairy area and I don't have much impetus to work on this

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team