[rt-devel] Rationale for enabling GnuPG by default?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Jan 10 14:25:02 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 07:56:52PM +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of Debian's users has noticed that in the default configuration,
> GPG is enabled but unusable (until you give it a key to work with):
>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=654697>
>
> and logs this fact. It seems to me to make more to explicitly enable
> this when adding a key, rather than complaining that there isn't one
> in the default install.
>
> Can we change the default here, or is there a specific reason it's
> done this way?

I believe the default is actually because configure searches for
bin/gpg in path and flips the Enable bit.  I wasn't involved in the
original discussion, but I assume it was to make it easier for folks
who wanted to use GPG.

I'd be fine with a 4.2 patch that killed that and asked people to turn
it on manually or specify --enable-gpg if they're going to use it.

I'd also be fine with a 4.0 patch to the log messages that explains
how to make them go away.

-kevin