[rt-devel] Unique articles names

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Oct 22 14:00:50 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 12:34:48PM +0200, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> in RT articles "Create" method, unique Name is enforced, even if the
> article belong to different classes. What is the need for this?
> Shouldn't we enforce this uniqueness only inside each class?

This code dates back almost a decade now
https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/commit/8ef2201de4ae5cf

Long before we had the concept of Classes as anything other than
global silos of articles (I added classes applied to queues as the
runup to merging Articles into core).

I'd be fine with unique article names within a class (it still gets a
little weird if you have two classes applied to a Queue and use the
dropdown quick list feature) and agree that globally unique names
don't make sense..

I'd not change this in 4.0, might be ok with 4.2.  If you send a
patch, send it against 4.2, but don't be surprised if the argument
comes down that this has to go against master for 4.4.

-kevin