[rt-devel] [rt-users] New UX for RT: REST 2.0, json, and what?

akos.torok at docca.hu akos.torok at docca.hu
Thu Apr 3 17:33:32 EDT 2014

Hi Felipe,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Felipe C. do R. Pinto <felipecrp at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Àkos,
>
> - so far we have create a devel 4.2 environment,
>> - got the new rest api working,
>>

> Great!

Since then we've got some "hello world" thing:
- an angular client asks the user for a ticket id (via ng-model input
field),
- the angularjs code asks RT for some ticket head data (via REST),
- gets JSON answer from RT,
- and shows to the user on the html.
small step, but we are happy :)

> - earlier we had decided angularjs,
>>

> I would suggest some other frameworks that are really cool:
>
> 1. Twitter bootstrap for a cool and responsive interface (
> http://getbootstrap.com/). It also enable css themes for the UI.
> 2. Less Css to make it easier to design the UI (
> http://lesscss.org/features/)
> 3. Jquery, for easy access RT REST API (
> http://api.jquery.com/jquery.getjson/)
> 4. Datatables for amazing table handle (http://datatables.net/index)

thanks, all of them seems cool!

1. I think bootstrap very useful!
2. I don't know lesscss, but I hope it is useful as well
3. as far as I see angularjs is a natural in terms of rest/json, - maybe
jquery/getjson is overlapped with angular,
4. datatables.net: this is really great! I really want to see search
results in it this way.

> - we are just choosing IDE: there was Eclipse and Netbeans on the list,
>> Netbeans seems to win.
>>

> Eclipse is a very powerful editor, but for html, javascript and even perl,
> I really like sublime text 3.

ok, thanks, we going to test it.

>> - we are considering debugging related things (ie: coding habits), since
>> the cross-browser debugging needs some special care.
>>

> This is important. I don´t know much in perl debugging. For javascript, I
> use firebug.
>

>> - we have to choose a place for project communication, since you and
>> Frank expressed your interest in contributing.
>>

> This list sounds cool, but I also think we should create a
> organization/project in github to use:
>
> 1. code repo
> 2. wiki to record our project documentation
> 3. issue tracker to keep the roadmap task trackable.

agree. feel free to start any of them! we are here so far:

1. we are considering github
 2. this is the http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/RT_new_UX page I made,
feel free to modify, update, etc. - or leave it behind.
3. github

> Finally, I also have the following suggestions:
>
> The UX should focus on user experience.  I think we should focus on the
> following use cases:
>
> 1. search for tickets
> 2. show tickets
> 3. ticket creation and maintenance
>
> we think the same or almost the same. here you can find the user functions
we aimed to create:
http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/RT_new_UX
User functions

We are going to create a limited functionality in v1.0:

- login

- Dashboards

- Display.html combined included: Update.htm and all the standard and
custom fields user actions. I mean: user can do all the actions on the same
web page without navigation away: see the history, add comment, edit
fields. No transaction CFs in the v1.0

- Results (new ajax grid, table). I mean: user can filter, sort the rows,
and maybe edit the results list's fields. Without clicking away from the
page.

- Create new ticket

> I also think we should develop keyboard shortcut in a way that users can
> interact with the UX without need the mouse. (cool!)

yes, absolutely agree - and we already made it in classic RT, since I like
that way of working.

Best regards,

Ákos