[rt-devel] Greatly increased query time after update to 4.2.9

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Fri Dec 26 15:11:20 EST 2014

On 12/15/2014 11:32 PM, Jeff Albert wrote:
> Did some more digging on this issue today, and discovered the
> following difference between our production RT 4.0.8 environment and the
> underperforming test instance of RT 4.2.9: an extra join to
> CachedGroupMembers in a query that creates the SelectOwnerDropdown
> element under 4.2.9 produces a query that runs for 18 seconds (the one
> previously mentioned), as compared with 0.0023 seconds under 4.0.8.

The extra join to CGM is to limit the Owner drop-down to Privileged
users; this is a performance win for those folks that have granted
OwnTicket to Everyone instead of to Privileged.

In most places, the join order is:
   ACL -> CGM -> Users -> Principals -> CGM (Privileged limit)

How many Privileged users do you have?  How many ACL rows, and OwnTicket
/ SuperUser ACL grants?  Do you have OwnTicket granted very broadly?

 - Alex