[rt-devel] RT 4.2.12 with plugins but neither installed using CPAN

Jim Brandt jbrandt at bestpractical.com
Wed Feb 24 08:56:13 EST 2016

One way to do development from git repos is something like:

* clone RT from git in a working directory
* clone new extension repos into another working directory
* set the RTHOME environment variable to the location of your test RT
* run the typical perl Makefile.PL; make install for the extension
* restart RT (either Apache or standalone dev server)

The installer puts files in different places under RT's local directory
so they get picked up by RT properly. It would likely be a fair bit of
hacking to try to fake it out. We usually just create a simple shell
alias for the install steps so we can do something like:

* open files in extension
* code, code, code
* run 'install' alias, or whatever you want to call it
* test on the RT side

You can also put the RT restart command in your alias so everything gets
reloaded when you install more code.

It's not too much overhead and the good part is when you're done you
know that the extension should install as expected for others.

If you haven't found it yet, this should help as well:

https://bestpractical.com/docs/rt/4.2/writing_extensions.html