[rt-devel] API call to get "Created" value of history replies of all tickets

Andrii Iudin andrii at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 11:51:17 EDT 2016

Dear Request Tracker Developers,

The following issue has been raised in rt-users list, however there was
no response. If there is no currently available solution, it would be
nice to have it implemented in the future release of RT, for example, a
support of an API query that returns all tickets and all histories at
once. Please see the details below.

We are using RT 4.2.12 through API to allow the communication between
the users of our deposition system and the reviewers of those
depositions. We have a single RT user which is used by our deposition
system to create and manage tickets for all depositors. Each deposition
has an ID associated with it and this ID is stored as a custom field for
each ticket. We have a page that displays the list of all depositions.
If there is a new message available, then a notification is displayed
near the deposition in this list. Whether the message is new or not is
determined based on the "Created" value of the last reply to the ticket.
This value is compared with the corresponding value in the database and
each time the ticket history is opened through our deposition system the
database's value is updated.

The problem lies in getting the "Created" value of the last reply for
each deposition. This is done through a query
/REST/1.0/ticket/<ticket-id>/history?format=l

However, since this has to be done for all the depositions' unresolved
tickets, the loading of the page with the deposition list can take a
long time (each API call is about 200 ms or more). Please could you tell
if there is a query available to get the history for all the tickets in
the queue in one go? We can then parse the result to obtain the
necessary last reply times. Or is there a better way available to see
the time of the last reply to the ticket, the email and whether it is a
comment or not?

Many thanks and best regards,
Andrii