[rt-devel] RT 4.4.1rc1 released

Shawn Moore shawn at bestpractical.com
Thu Jun 2 18:54:15 EDT 2016

Hey Chris,

On 2016年6月2日 at 2:14:08, Christian Loos (cloos at netcologne.de) wrote:
> Am 24.05.2016 um 18:36 schrieb Shawn Moore:
> > * Long attachment lists now show only the five newest
> > attachments with an AJAX "Show all" link. This should improve the
> > performance and usability of both ticket display and ticket reply
> > pages.
>
> I really like this one.
>
> But this is actually a behavior change within a stable release.

I consider this more a performance and usability improvement (for example, there’s a _lot_ of scrolling that happens if you correspond lots with someone with social media images in their signature) which simply wasn’t ready in time for the .0 release.

> And
> maybe not all users will like this behavior.
>
> You should add a config option, so admin, and maybe also the user them
> self can adjust how many attachments are shown by default.

Fair enough. I pushed a branch https://github.com/bestpractical/rt/tree/4.4.1/attachment-count which restores the default behavior of showing all attachments by adding an $AttachmentListCount option. It’ll go back to showing 5 by default in 4.6.0.

I didn’t make it a preference though. I think the user preferences UI needs some polish and reorganization before we add more and more preferences like this which probably won’t be changed by many users. Once we do redesign the UI, it’ll be straightforward to go back and add lots of prefs for all the config that can be treated as such.

That’s not to say that I’m completely against new preferences (I personally pushed for "hide unset fields” becoming a preference rather than on by default, since there are two classes of user which ought to be served differently). But, the bar has definitely risen.

> Chris

Cheers!
Shawn