[rt-users] questions before i install

Mark D. Anderson mda at discerning.com
Mon Aug 7 22:24:03 EDT 2000

> Errors come from RT's mail alias. Queues which don't yet have an email address
> assigned to them send their mail from rt's mail alias.
>
> > When would users send email directly to "rt" rather than to "rt-$queuename"?
>
> Once a ticket is created, it really doesn't matter what alias things get sent to.
> RT just does the right thing.  rt@ is nice and convenient for people who know
> what they're doing, though.

hmmm, so why not just use one email alias for the entire system?

in fact, what i'm planning on doing is using fetchmail and examining the
subject line for things of the form "(queuename) whatever..." and it'll
pipe to rt-mailgate with the appropriate first argument.
that takes care of the create case, and as you say, for all other cases it
doesn't matter because the subject line already has the queuename.

i just have to train users to put "(queuename)" at the beginning of the subject
line when submitting requests, if they don't want it sent to "general".

shouldn't that work?

> > 5. i also couldn't find a clear explanation of "correspond" vs. "comment".
>
> Comments don't get sent to the end-user. correspondence does.

hmmm, just to make sure i understand the intended use case:
is this for example when two sysadmins want to exchange some biting comment
that the submitter shouldn't see, like "when will people ever learn that 'I can't print'
is not informative?"?

or do both correspond and comment go to the same message log, with
the same access control? if so, i guess i still don't get the point.

> > 6. is there any revised ETA for a 2.0 alpha?
> >

> Depends on what you want in it.  It does basically run now. it doesn't do
> everything right, though. What featureset are you looking for?

nothing in particular, as i haven't got 1.0 up yet.
mostly i was concerned with getting myself educated on 1.0 only to see
it all replaced. i've already spent more time staring at manipulate.pm than
i care to. and inspecting perl code not using -w or -T is not my idea of a good time.

-mda