[rt-users] P.R. criteria

Dan Bethe dan_bethe at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 23 08:02:55 EST 2000

	Hello, everyone.  I am in need of help choosing a problem reporting
and management system.  I respect the work done by all the groups I'm
contacting, and I intend to contact more.  I appreciate all responses.
The following text is my complete current status.  You can find the
HTML version of it at http://mmmgood.via.net.  You may prefer the
formatting of the HTML version; it's easier to read.
	I look forward to hearing from you.

   Criteria for Problem Reporting Systems
     * basics
          + all software involved (interface, main system,
            database, etc) must be GPL-compatible unless that
            seriously hinders practical selection
          + must have an excellent developer support community,
            willing and able to actively accept change requests
            and patches. very important.
          + not exclusively oriented on software development.
            configurable for all general problem-reporting tasks
          + integrate with source code repository -- "what patch
            is associated with this bugfix?"
          + integrate with billing system
               o lets people buy support
               o lets us farm out support
     * user interfaces
          + www
          + maybe command line (probably through RDBMS)
          + maybe open standard application like tcl/tk
          + email interface
          + easy enough to use, operable by external parties and
            the random public
     * database interface options
          + database-neutral (maybe perl-based for DBI)
          + SQL RDBMS
               o preferably PostgreSQL because of entirely free
                 license
               o will consider MySQL, due to not entirely free
                 license
     * configuration
          + interface configuration template, for adding new
            categories, items, actions, etc
          + dependancy support between tasks

   Possible candidates
   All candidates from the list at
   http://freshmeat.net/appindex/development/bug%20tracking.html
   , that are at all like free or open source software, will be
   evaluated.
     * GNATS (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gnats/), gnatsweb
       (http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gnats-announce/1999/msg00
       006.html), and wwwgnats
       (http://alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/wwwgnats/README.html)
          + fully GPL
          + customizable enough for non-software p.r.'s
          + our developers already have experience with 3.x --
            have added credit card support -- see
            http://www.cyclic.com/cyclic-pages/gnats-ygg.txt
          + its use is depended upon by its own developers --
            ideal developer support community
          + all imagined user interfaces, with multiple choices
            for www. Do I have the current wwwgnats, as listed
            above? I need help in choosing between wwwgnats and
            gnatsweb.
          + no RDBMS in 3.x, and I'm not sure about its inclusion
            in the future of 4.0
          +
          + well-proven and -understood in general
          + evolving from an older internal structure. arcane
            installation and setup. rather unwieldy to new GNATS
            admins.
          + I definately need to know the status on the future of
            4.0, which is already a usable beta with a CVS
            checkin every few days at Cygnus. I'm currently
            working on installing it.
     * Bugzilla (http://www.mozilla.org/bugs)
          + GPL-incompatible to the point of severe moral
            compromise, according to
            http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html. It
            states that MPL software can't link with GPL
            software. Alternate viewpoints on this issue are
            welcome, as that page is currently my only guide.
          + has inter-item dependancy support
          + massively tested, proven, scalable, stable, etc
          + author support for Bugzilla is barely stated on web
            site, and seems to be discouraged.
          + in summary, Bugzilla has major technological
            advantages, and major practical disadvantages. It
            appears to completely rock.
     * Request Tracker http://www.fsck.com/projects/rt/
          + fully GPL
          + uses MySQL, with alleged near future intentions for
            other RDBMS's
          + all necessary user interfaces, with multiple choices
            of implementations for some. very smart-looking and
            complete www interface.
          + the rate of its support is uncertain. Seems to be a
            small developer base, maybe one person, according to
            web site. Maturity of product is uncertain to me.
     * Frontdesk
          + under investigation
     * Front Track
          + unix support lags severely and support is very
            expensive. Not a good choice.
     * PRepS
          + very good inteface as a Linux/GTK app and www.
          + no email interface
          + purported by author to exist as a subset of GNATS,
            where the use of GNATS is recommended if more
            functionality is desired. Probably not a good choice
            for us.
     * Jitterbug / Caretracker
          + Can't locate the Linuxcare modifications, called
            Caretracker. Major recent modifications to
            Linuxcare's web site. No response yet from
            Caretracker maintainer David Sifry. Can't locate any
            relevant web sites or mailing lists.

Current Summary

   Due to several months of combined team experience with GNATS,
   ideal developer community support, and alleged future
   features, it is currently a favorite even if it needs
   modifications for our ideal use. However, I'd really like to
   know that RDBMS support is a near reality, or else that there
   will be an easy forward compatibility path with it in the
   future. Also we'd like it to be database-neutral, such as with
   perl DBI.

   Request Tracker and Caretracker (if I could find it) look very
   interesting. But can their developers compare to the proven
   ambition of GNATS? Problem report systems are very complex and
   integral, stressing all infrastructural components and
   standards that it's based on, all the way down to the OS.

   What is up with the MPL?

   Our team will contribute to any changes that we'd need on any
   P.R. system. Please send (or carbon copy) direct advice to
   dan_bethe at yahoo.com.

=====
"Don't expect your own messiah; this neverworld which you desire is
only in your mind." -- http://www.dreamtheater.net/songb4.htm#IV5