[rt-users] Reply-to: setting changes From: setting

Tauren Mills tauren at servlets.net
Wed May 17 16:09:50 EDT 2000

While testing one of our RT queues (support at servlets.net), I have discovered
the following:

Microsoft Outlook configured WITHOUT a Reply Address

1. Outlook is configured without any Reply-To: address.  This is configured
in Tools->Accounts->Mail tab->select account name->click Properties->select
General tab->Reply Address.  Only the From: address is configured.

2. I compose a message to support at servlets.net and send it.

3.  Our support engineers in the Support queue get an email with a from
header that says the User Information Name configured for the Outlook
Account.

4.  We are happy since this is what we want!

Microsoft Outlook configured WITH a Reply Address
1. Outlook is configured with a Reply-To: address in addition to a From:
address.  This is configured in Tools->Accounts->Mail tab->select account
name->click Properties->select General tab->Reply Address.

2. I compose a message to support at servlets.net and send it.

3.  Our support engineers in the Support queue get an email with a from
header that says "Servlets.Net Support <support at servlets.net>".  The user
name is not included even though the User Information Name configured for
the Outlook Account has valid information.

4.  We are NOT happy since we can't tell very easily who is sending us
email!

I'm assuming this is the case with other email clients.  Outlook is the only
one I've tested so far.  We are finding that some of the requests coming
from our customers have their name in the from field and many do not.

Why would the Reply-To: field make any difference in how this works?

Thanks,
Tauren