[rt-users] Translation

Tobias Brox tobiasb at tobiasb.funcom.com
Wed May 24 12:27:04 EDT 2000

> I'd say GNU gettext is your friend for this:

No.  The intention is good, but it quite often fails to perform good due
to totally different grammars.

Let's take the directory listing problem:

0 files shown
1 file shown
2 files shown
3 files shown
20 files shown

with GNU gettext it would apperently make sense to write this as
something like:

"%d file%s shown"

...until you discover that it all of the lines above are totally different
in some of the language you want to translate to.

There is another, better, package out there.  Jesse has posted an URL
earlier, maybe it was only to me and not to the devel-list.