[rt-users] definition on rt-mailgate

Eric Goodman ericg at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue Oct 31 15:56:23 EST 2000

This description is correct with one error. As RT ships "correspond"
are the only aliases that allow creation of tickets. Therefore the
sentence "comment is the right choice" should say "correspond is the
right choice".

Any of the three RT action types can process %RT commands. E.g., an
email of the form:

	%RT USER myusername
	%RT PASS mypassword
	%RT TAKE 16

will "take" item 16, whatever <action> is specified in the mail alias.

The functional difference that the <action> argument makes is that it
determines what happens to the plain text in the message.

An 'action' argument causes rt-mailgate to ignore any plain text in
the message (I think you get an error). The subject line of the
message must reference an actual case in the database.

A 'comment' argument causes rt-mailgate to treat the plain text as a
comment, as if you had entered a new comment in the web interface. As
with 'action' arguments, the subject must reference the case on which
you are commenting.

A 'correspond' argument causes rt-mailgate to treat the plain text as
a reply (i.e., sends a message to the requestor as well as queue
members). If the subject line of the message does not reference a
case in the database, then a new case is created -- if allowed by the
queue -- using the information in the email (requestor is read from
the "From:" line, etc.).

--- Eric