[rt-users] Apache memory usage

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Fri Aug 24 14:31:29 EDT 2001

WG> I've noticed that this line increases Apache's memory usage by 8-10MB :
WG> PerlRequire /usr/local/rt/bin/webmux.pl

WG> Isn't there some way to avoid using it ???

No; mod_perl is a very heavy weight add-on to apache, especially when
you pull in your application for maximal performance.  If you don't
need mod_perl for your normal web serving, then you are better off
running a seperate instance of apache with mod_perl dedicated to RT.
I run a separate apache on port 8099, for example.

I'm attaching a copy of my httpd.conf file that does this on my
development server.

As for your other problem of core dumps, this is usually an indication
of some mismatch in your compile options of perl and apache.  What OS
and compiler are you using?  If you're on solaris, be sure to build
perl to use the system malloc, since that's what apache uses.  Also,
be sure to compile both with the same large files setting.  This is
all detailed in the mod_perl docs.  If you're not on solaris, then I'm
not sure what the problem may be off hand.