[rt-users] Running RT2 with a remote database

Matt Disney mdisney at ecdev.fedex.com
Wed Dec 5 11:12:42 EST 2001

I'm running RT2 on a different server than my database.

You'll need the mysql client on the same server as RT. That doesn't
mean your RT/web server has to have the mysql server on it. You can put
the mysql server wherever you want, as long as you still have the mysql
client on the RT/web server.

I believe you can configure your mysql server for RT in the Makefile
before installation. By default, it is localhost.

You may want to spend some time becoming comfortable with mysql access
notions. RT's installation takes care of everything if your Makefile
and mysql user access settings are correct.  But if your mysql stuff is
not setup correctly, you could still run into problems. I guess the
most important thing there is that there is a mysql user (actually
a mysql user, not a system user called "mysql") that can create
databases on your mysql server. RT's installation needs such a
user to exist so that it can create its database.

Someone correct me if any of that is wrong.

Matt