[rt-users] Newbie to RT -- can't get RT to *send* mail

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 19 13:55:04 EST 2001

On Friday, January 19, 2001 19:43:46 +0100, Lorens Kockum
<rt-id-45 at lists.lorens.org> wrote:
+-----
| I'm mainly scared that for something as vital for me as a mail
| there are no flashing red blinkenlichten saying there's an error
| somewhere.  Am I missing an RT logfile somewhere?
+--->8

It will be in the Apache error log, but it won't have actually committed
such a major error that Apache would have failed the CGI.

For errors like this, I find it useful to use Log::STDERR.  The top of my
rtmux.pl looks like:

#!/usr/bin/perl -T
use Tie::STDERR 'allbery at ece.cmu.edu';

and Tie::STDERR reports all stderr output to me via mail (using a
relatively dumb interface, so it should hopefully work).  You can change it
to log stderr in other ways if you don't want to use (or don't trust) mail.

(In some ways it would be better if RT required Tie::STDERR.)

brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]   allbery at kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]         allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering                                   KF8NH
carnegie mellon university     ["better check the oblivious first" -ke6sls]